I’ve published a new version of my browser extension (aka webextension) “IP Address & Geolocation”.
Changelog for version 2:
- Country flags are now shown as an icon in the toolbar, thanks to @mispp, who has contributed code through GitHub
- This can be switched back to the default globe icon in options page
- The extension popup (the small window you get when clicking on the icon in the toolbar) has now an error handling with a retry-function. A snackbar (a notification) will appear when the extension is not able to load any data. In previous versions the progressbar was just running endlessly without any feedback in a case of an error.
- Images were optimized with the help of optipng.
- Build script added to create packages for different browsers automatically. WebExtensions were meant to be a cross-browser system for developing extensions but browsers still have different support in case of APIs and metadata files. So the script helps for testing and deploying the extension on different browsers.
storage permission for Chrome-like browsers, Firefox still needs it to save the settings. This is a good example for the different behavior of the browsers.
- Higher contrast for badge with the country code. Now the background is black and the text is white.
Install for your browser:
As of today the extension has over 140000 downloads where the most are from Opera users. One reason for the huge Opera user-base is, that my extension was trending in the “privacy & security” category of Opera’s Add-on store. It is still on page 2 of the most popular extensions. So give it a try.
You can also find the source code on GitHub.